5th Heritage Tour to Switzerland and the Alsace
September 20 to October 1, 2019
The Heritage Tour has finished. A recount of the tour with photos will appear here soon. Stay tuned.
We’re delighted to announce the Schürch Family Association of North America (SFANA) is offering the 5th Heritage Tour to Switzerland and the Alsace region of France. The tour will be guided by Dutch Anabaptist tour leader Ayold Fanoy, and co-hosted by SFANA members, family historian Justin Houser, and Sue Shirk. TourMagination of Waterloo, Ontario is handling the tour arrangements.
The 12-day tour dates are September 20 to October 1, 2019. On this tour you will:
• Visit six homesteads/birthplaces of our ancestors who immigrated to North America.
• Remember Schürch ancestors who experienced persecution and visit Trachselwald Castle where ancestors were imprisoned.Interact with a local Mennonite historian.
• Worship in the Grossmünster Cathedral in Zurich, and Täuferhöhle (the Anabaptist Cave), a secret worship site frequented by early Anabaptists.
• Take city tours in Zürich and Bern, including sites relevant to Anabaptist history.
• Enjoy beautiful scenery and natural features as we visit the Rhine Falls, take a train ride through the incredible Alps, travel by coach and horse-drawn wagon in the Swiss Emmental countryside, and enjoy a Strasbourg canal boat ride and a part-day Rhine River cruise.
• Tour (and enjoy samples) at the Affoltern cheese factory and Kambly biscuit factory and observe the process of creating a Schwyzerörgeli (Swiss accordion).
• Share a farewell dinner with Swiss “cousins” and enjoy local Swiss entertainment.
• See stunning European art at the Unterlinden Museum and architecture in the many towns, cities and villages we visit including the quaint medieval town of Riquewihr.